This interesting mushroom is a fungus that grows on caterpillar larvae and, traditionally, a product would contain both the larvae and the mushroom, but nowadays the mushroom can be grown on its own. It is a well-known traditional chinese medicine and is said to be the reason two world records were broken by the Chinese in the Asian Games in 1993.
- Increase strength & stamina: It can improve exercise performance by increasing endurance capacity through strengthening blood vessels and actually expanding them to allow more blood flow.
- Blood glucose control: The polysaccharides in cordyceps can lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Immune system stimulant: Cordyceps is most well-known for its immune enhancing effects by increasing survival of lymphocytes and activating natural killer cells.
- Antioxidant: Cordyceps naturally raise levels of antioxidants in our body such as superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione.
- Support kidney health: Improved renal function is seen and cordyceps are used to treat kidney failure or kidney transplant patients.
- Other benefits include: Enhanced libido and reduced fatigue.
Find more about this and other mushrooms on my article The Wonderful World of Mushrooms.